Ping Spikes?

AwakeV2

Ping Spikes?

Post by AwakeV2 »

Playing a FPS and I usually get around 43 ping, but out of no where it goes straight over 139. I'm the only one who uses it so I don't really know whats the problem.
KILROY

Re: Ping Spikes?

Post by KILROY »

You didn't mention if this happens with all FPS's you play, or is it one in particular? Also, who is your provider? What type of connections are you on? Dial-up, DSL, Cable, Wireless? Is this happening during peak times? Is this happening during the weekdays or weekends, or both? What operating system are your using, and what type of current updates have you done?

There's much more that goes into this that can cause many different types of issues. I just hit on the more popular issues, but can go in much more detail that others may not know about, like firewalls, virus programs, programs running in the background, the amount of HD space you have, and what type of HD your run, or SSD, or RAM Stick, or amount and type of RAM you are running, etc. Working in the Telecommunications Industry for the Worlds Largest Provider in IP and Main line transports I see it all and work many different type of issues.

Now keep in mind, no connection speed is stable. They all fluctuate (bounce) due to latency, which can be caused by many different things by your provider. Also, keep in mind, your provider does have to do routine maintenance on their own equipment at least once a week, including back-ups, some back-ups have to be done daily per FCC guidelines.

Give me some more details and maybe we can figure out what's going on. Also, if you have a limitation on the amount of bandwidth you use per month, you could be reaching it's limit, and if so, most ISP's will slow down your speeds. Kind of sucks, but this is how they are able to play with everyone's bandwidth speeds when they don't have better equipment hosting at their remote office, so everyone at least get's to get online to use their services. A T1 line has 24 ports on it, which will host 24 users. Your ISP splits these ports up between the 24 users, and assigns a speed to each port via programming and coding. When there are multiple people trying to use the limit on the T1's bandwidth, your ISP's equipment with it's programming and coding starts to fluctuate (bounce) speeds back and forth between the users. This allows each user to still be able to use their internet connection, but limits each user on it's speeds, until some of the user's drop off the internet. When they disconnect from their internet connection, the extra bandwidth that was freed is then divided between the existing users. A T3 works the same way. Now, you can lease a T1 or T3 line directly from some ISP's. These are hard lines, copper cables, but are costly. Fiber Optics you don't have this issue, nor should you ever have this issue. Fiber works off light, which is much faster than a copper line that only hosts a signal. If you are on a fiber line and seeing latency issue's, you need to follow up with your ISP and have them test out their lines, and fix the issue. If they come back to you and relay they see no issue's. You may want to verify your own equipment by having it tested. If it checks out, get back with your ISP and have them test out your line from their outside box to your main connection just inside your residence. The hook up jack could have an issue.

If you have a choice between either cable or fiber, ALWAYS go with FIBER. It's faster than anything on the planet right now. Even wireless cannot touch the speeds fiber offers.