My Winter Ford ..

SapoIV

My Winter Ford ..

Post by SapoIV »

Hey guys look what happened to my 'winter truck" today ..
:cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby: :cbaby:
Attachments
My 93 Ford.jpg
20150205_133014.jpg
20150205_133005.jpg
Beavis

Re: My Winter Ford ..

Post by Beavis »

just put it in reverse and its fixxed.
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

brokedddd
S_hift

Post by S_hift »

what happened? put too much torque into it?
Image <--Click here to subscribe to S_hift's youtube
Click here for full access to all my tribes downloads
{LS}RePublic

Post by {LS}RePublic »

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

OUCH, how the hell did you do that? Hopefully the casing is still good, or you will need to replace the whole differential. If it is, you just need to slide the axles out, wash out all the broken metal, and replace the gears (if missing teeth), slide the axles back into place and replace the holding pin, and then fill the differential back up with gear lube through the rear fill hole, plug it and your back on the road.

Make sure after you wash the metal out you dry it completely. Suggest to NOT use any paper towels, it will leave residue behind, use a cloth towel and then a hair dryer to get rid of any moisture. Also, be careful in sliding out the axles you could damage the axle seals. If you do, you will then have to remove the rear wheels and rear drum to get to the axle seals to replace them. If you did damage them, look to make sure you didn't saturate the rear shoes in the drum. If you did, you will need to do a complete rear brake job, and I suggest re-turning the drums to get the axle fluid off of them.

If you have disk brakes in the rear, you should be ok.

The pumpkin cover is questionable. I'd replace it. Make sure you rub it down with alcohol and let it dry before going back with silicone for the seal.
Ninetails

Post by Ninetails »

Nah, this is what really happens in Australia :P
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What he wrote:
<!>KILROY wrote:OUCH, how the hell did you do that? Hopefully the casing is still good, or you will need to replace the whole differential. If it is, you just need to slide the axles out, wash out all the broken metal, and replace the gears (if missing teeth), slide the axles back into place and replace the holding pin, and then fill the differential back up with gear lube through the rear fill hole, plug it and your back on the road.

Make sure after you wash the metal out you dry it completely. Suggest to NOT use any paper towels, it will leave residue behind, use a cloth towel and then a hair dryer to get rid of any moisture. Also, be careful in sliding out the axles you could damage the axle seals. If you do, you will then have to remove the rear wheels and rear drum to get to the axle seals to replace them. If you did damage them, look to make sure you didn't saturate the rear shoes in the drum. If you did, you will need to do a complete rear brake job, and I suggest re-turning the drums to get the axle fluid off of them.

If you have disk brakes in the rear, you should be ok.

The pumpkin cover is questionable. I'd replace it. Make sure you rub it down with alcohol and let it dry before going back with silicone for the seal.
What I read:
<!>KILROY wrote: Take it to a qualified mechanic.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Naw, it's an easy fix. What I relayed is exactly how it's going to be fixed. It's actually an easy fix. To take it to a mechanic, you have to pay to get it there, then pay for labor and parts. If you didn't break any gears, then all you have to do is clean and replace the shear pin in the gear housing, reseal the pumpkin, and add gear lube. I was a certified mechanic ;) Matter of fact one of the first here in Texas certified for retrofitting R-12 to 134-A A/C's in vehicles.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

What you said:
<!>KILROY wrote:Naw, it's an easy fix. What I relayed is exactly how it's going to be fixed. It's actually an easy fix. To take it to a mechanic, you have to pay to get it there, then pay for labor and parts. If you didn't break any gears, then all you have to do is clean and replace the shear pin in the gear housing, reseal the pumpkin, and add gear lube. I was a certified mechanic ;) Matter of fact one of the first here in Texas certified for retrofitting R-12 to 134-A A/C's in vehicles.
What I read:
<!>KILROY wrote:Certified mechanics might still make all if the same mistakes I warned about, but the difference is they wouldn't care, because either way, you're paying for it.

Plus I'm awesome because blah blah blah...