the king

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: the king

Post by perrinoia »

Actually, I 'borrow' other people's paid accounts for streaming services... So, suck it!
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

netflix? not a lot of variety...
SGT ROCK

Post by SGT ROCK »

perrinoia wrote:RIGHT?!

Guys, all those torrent sites were taken down for a reason. The government is cracking down on torrenting.

Honestly, it's easier to stream them anyway, and it's fucking legal.

Torrenting isn't edgy anymore, it's stupid.

That being said, torrenting is an amazingly efficient way to download large files LEGALLY, so if your internet connection sucks as mine does, and you're given the option to download something directly or via torrent, go with the torrent.

I'd like to get Killroy's expert opinion on this, though, seeing as how he's in a position to know about how easily the government can track torrents, these days.
Attachments
xou6.gif
xou6.gif (3.59 MiB) Viewed 466 times
"Some of you young men think that war is all glamour and glory, but let me tell you, boys, it is all hell!"
-General William T. Sherman

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

DaJ4ck3L wrote:netflix? not a lot of variety...
Netflix, Hulu, Hulu Plus, AMC....

Virtually every app that requires an account on my brother's apple tv has credentials that a family member or friend of his pays for.

We watch anything we want for free, except movies that are still in theaters... Even those, we can get on demand, but not for free.
D4M45T3R

Post by D4M45T3R »

aww so you can only "pirate" movies and shows ... and not in very good quality either hehehe.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

The apple tv is plugged into a 720p projector and stereo system, and as long as my computer isn't downloading a bunch of shit (like reinstalling all of my steam games, for instance), the apple tv streams without any loss.

However, when my brother is streaming (100% of the time he is home), the internet is so slow, I cannot even play Tribes.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:The apple tv is plugged into a 720p projector and stereo system, and as long as my computer isn't downloading a bunch of shit (like reinstalling all of my steam games, for instance), the apple tv streams without any loss.

However, when my brother is streaming (100% of the time he is home), the internet is so slow, I cannot even play Tribes.
Sounds like your connection speed isn't very big, also. One thing you can try to help improve the connection is a dual modem connection. Which is basically a gamming modem. If you have a spare USB port open, you can purchase a Wireless Dual Band Connector which will help with your internet connection speeds when you have multiple users, using it.

I use Apple TV in my Home Theater Room, and in my gamming room, my Xbox with another sound system, both connected to use online. With a slower connection a Wireless Dual Band Connector does help, but you will still have some latency, but it allows all your equipment that uses the internet to function.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

We have a dual band router, plugged into the shitty modem time Warner cable gave us.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:We have a dual band router, plugged into the shitty modem time Warner cable gave us.
Well, at least you can get Time Warner. They are just outside my gated home on a telephone pole a little over 4 1/2 acres away. I'm waiting on them to decide if they want to run me an aerial line for their services at no charge. I relayed I will be a long term customer due to no other services besides this crappy 6 MG DSL line I have currently with ATT, and they buried the coax cable, so no maintenance if something goes wrong. I relayed to them that I want their 50 MG line, due to they are upgrading all their customers who currently have their 50 MG line to a 300 MG download and 20 MG upload at little or no cost increase. Austin, TX Time Warner already completed this with all their customers this last year. They are trying to compete with ATT's fiber optical U-Verse services, which I won't see for who knows when.

Now as for the dual band router, good, but does your modem in your computer or laptop support a dual band connection? If not, then the dual band router you are using is only good for your one time connect on one frequency band. If your computer or laptop supported dual band also, you would see an increase in signal and speed, and get a little less latency in your online activities. I noticed since I switched mine, it did make a difference.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Well, some of the internet connected devices in the household use dual band, some don't. The important thing is that the router is capable of handling the amount of devices we have. I have a desktop running windows 8, laptop running windows 7, and an android cellphone that all connect to WiFi, and my brother has a mac book pro, mac book air, apple tv, ipad, ipod touch, and an iphone, also all connected to WiFi.

That's 9 connections between the two of us, and when we moved in together, the router he owned only supported 4 simultaneous WiFi connections. So I bought him the router we currently use, and it's magnificent. Depending on which devices I use, I see anywhere from 1-3 WiFi networks listed that I can choose to connect to. 2.4 GHz, 5.8 Ghz, and Guest. I believe it supports a total of 16 devices.

When I lived with my sister in RI, she had a router/modem from Cox Cable, which they claimed supported "unlimited" WiFi connections, to which I responded, "bullshit... There's always a limit". They didn't have any documentation regarding how many devices it supported, so I had to find out by turning on all of my devices until one got an IP address conflict. We each had 3 devices, and then my brother visited and tried to connect 3 more. It supports 8.

#firstworldproblems.

Anyway, back to the internet connection issues. Before my sister and I moved in together, she had Verizon FiOS, which provided her with 32 Mbps... That's what they advertised, and when I tested it, it was actually more than that by a few Kbps (during peek hours). Then we moved in together, and couldn't get FiOS in the new apartment, so we got Cox. We ordered the 50 Mbps line and when I tested it, it was only around 15-20, depending on the time of day. But my brother has Time Warner Cable, pays for 25 Mbps and gets at most 7... It slows way down around 5 PM.