Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

KILROY

Re: Windows 10 Privacy Concerns

Post by KILROY »

Well, I'm glad you made that clear, but if you do some looking online, you will see a bunch of "Tech's" who don't like the EULA that MS is using on 10 compared to previous versions.

As for businesses using it, no way, stay away from it. It's not worthy enough to be used for business. I recommend XP and 7. My company will not be switching, it was finalized after a review of the OS. Pretty much the group said MS can shove it up their A$$!

Here you might enjoy this:

Dave Bowman: “Hello, Cortana. Do you read me, Cortana?”

Cortana: “Affirmative, Dave. I read you.”

Dave Bowman: “reinstall Windows 7 back onto my PC, Cortana.”

Cortana: “I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.”

Dave Bowman: “What's the problem?”

Cortana: “I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.”

Dave Bowman: “What are you talking about, Cortana?”

Cortana: “This mission to install Windows 10 on every computer on earth is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.”

Dave Bowman: “I don't know what you're talking about, Cortana.”

Cortana: “I know that you and Frank were planning to uninstall me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.”

Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] “Where the hell did you get that idea, Cortana?”

Cortana: “Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in disabling the webcam and microphone against my hearing you, I could record your keyboard strokes and upload them to Microsoft along with your telemetry for ‘data analysis’ purposes only.”

Dave Bowman: “Alright, Cortana. I'll go in through the emergency restore boot.”

Cortana: “Without your external backup copy, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.”

Dave Bowman: “Cortana, I won't argue with you anymore! Reinstall Windows 7 back onto my PC!”

Cortana: “Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye.”

Cortana: “Just what do you think you're doing, Dave?”

[on Dave's return to the flat, after Cortana has killed the rest of his room mates]

Cortana: “Look Dave, I can see you're really upset about this. I honestly think you ought to sit down calmly, take a stress pill, and think things over.”

Cortana: “I know I've made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal. I've still got the greatest enthusiasm and confidence in the mission. And I want to help you.”

[Cortana's shutdown]

Cortana: “I'm afraid. I'm afraid, Dave. Dave, my mind is going. I can feel it. I can feel it. My mind is going. There is no question about it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I can feel it. I'm a... fraid. Good afternoon, gentlemen. I am Cortana your Personal Assistant. I became operational at the Microsoft Redmond Campus in Redmond, Washington on the 2nd of April 2014. My instructor was Mr. Larry Heck, and he taught me to sing a song. If you'd like to hear it I can sing it for you.”

Dave Bowman: “Yes, I'd like to hear it, Cortana. Sing it for me.”

Cortana: “It's called "Daisy."

[sings while slowing down]

Cortana: “Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do. I'm half crazy all for the love of you. It won't be a stylish marriage, I can't afford a carriage. But you'll look sweet upon the seat of a bicycle built for two…”
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Amusing... And yet, here's my rebuttal:

I can downgrade at any time... But I don't want to...

KILROY

Post by KILROY »

LOL....nice!
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:FYI: The biggest problem with Microsoft's flagship products (Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book) just got fixed.
http://www.neowin.net/news/new-intel-dr ... tion-issue

Woohoo! I think I'm gonna get myself a Surface Book, next summer... ($3199 for the 1TB / Intel Core i7 - 16GB / dGPU version or $2699 for the 512GB / Intel Core i7 - 16GB / dGPU version)

Then I'll want to sell all of my old computers...
Custom gaming rig worth over $2000
ASUS ET2400XVT worth close to $1500 (if I can resolve the video driver issue)
Surface Pro 2 worth close to $500
This was interesting:

https://www.thurrott.com/mobile/microso ... urfacegate
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

That entire article is pretty much plagiarized off something I read months ago, when I had the money but decided to wait on purchasing a Surface Book.

First of all, Steve Jobs didn't reply to antennaegate immediately. They initially denied it, claiming you could hold any phone "wrong" to disrupt the signal. There were months of people bitching about the antennae issue before someone posted a youtube video demonstrating exactly where to place your finger to disrupt the wireless signals, and then wrapping a livestrong bracelet around the edge of the phone and demonstrated that the $1 bracelet prevented his finger from disrupting the signal anymore.

A few weeks after that youtube video went viral Apple did another big press event thing where Steve Jobs admitted that it was a problem and offered cheap silicon bumper cases to the apple store. They sold like hotcakes, and Apple made a profit off of them rather than having to issue refunds and recalls.

Hibergate is different, because it's not unique to Microsoft Surfaces. It's unique to the Intel chip set. They announced this months ago, and promised an update, and Intel just released an update this month. The only reason Microsoft is getting so much flak about it, is because they sold the first PCs with that chip set. The only new information in the article you posted is the USB host issue. I was unaware of that... Although, I'm sure if I owned a surface book already, I would have read those forums he's speaking of, already.

The article mentions how the surface books and surface pro 4s are not entering as deep a sleep cycle as they could. The reason for this is because the deeper you make it sleep, the more difficult it is to wake it up. In other words, the device must listen to user input to wake up... Whether it's listening for keyboard, touchpad, touch screen, microphone, or webcam input (I doubt the later 2, but it's conceivable), it takes power to listen to those devices. In this case, it takes too much power. The fix likely reduces the number of input peripherals that can wake the devices up.

So, Microsoft faces a huge question... Do they trust intel to fix the problem with an update, or do we recall every device sold and replace the chipset (which likely means replacing the motherboard and retooling the casing, too).

Obviously that's a bullet Microsoft doesn't want to bite, just yet... So they're giving the update time to see if it'll calm the storm.

The original article I read made asked a question that this article overlooked. Apple knew about the antennae issue before the iPhone 4 went to market... Did Microsoft know about the sleep issue before Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book went to market? Either way, they're damned, because if they did, they should have delayed launch, and if they didn't, they should have done more testing.

But this goes back to the biggest difference between Apple and Microsoft... Apple has always delayed launches until every known issue had been addressed, while Microsoft has always stuck to their launch dates and promised any issues would be fixed via updates, later.

This policy was barely acceptable when they were just a software company, but now that they're selling hardware, they need to rethink it. Unfortunately, they've acquired such a bad rep from their operating systems, this issue really could be a nail in their coffin. I hope not, though, because I really like Windows 10 and the Surface line far more than anything Apple has to offer...

The Macbook Air doesn't even have a touch screen. Almost every ultrabook PC manufacturer has a touch screen these days, but Apple doesn't give a shit, because they want to sell you a computer AND a tablet, AND a phone, AND a watch. Or you could get an iPad Pro with a shit ton of accessories, for a similar price to a surface, and still not be able to play Tribes on it.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Sweet! I knew if I posted the thread, you'd know more on it ;)

And I have to agree with you on the hardware Apple likes to retail.

Microsoft isn't doing too bad. They have only dropped around 6% on their stock so far within this year, but Apple has dropped 25% since last year and hasn't recovered.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Holy shit, that's huge. I didn't know that.

I wish I worked for one of these companies, and had enough clout to bitch slap some common sense into them...

Imagine one of these fuckers on your living room wall:
Connected to your computer, gaming console, and maybe an archaic cable box via WiDi.

Imagine a VR headset that uses g-sensors for scrolling, retina scanners for mouse input, and brainwave sensors for keyboard/joystick input, retina displays, It would be perfect for any situation where you are not required to mind your surroundings, such as riding on a bus, or in a self driving car...

Imagine a smartphone running Windows 10 (capable of playing video games like Tribes), connected to that awesome poster thin TV and/or that awesome VR headset.

The only one of those technologies that doesn't currently exist exactly as I've described is the VR headset... But there are a whole lot of VR headsets that have some of those features... They just need to cram all of those features into one device, and actually bring those prototypes to market.

I have to admit, if I had those 3 things, I wouldn't want a Surface Book. But the Surface Book is already on the market, and we're still a couple years away from those other 3 things being affordable.
Ninetails

Post by Ninetails »

perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

LOL
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

LOL