Water Cooler

vistalize

Re: Water Cooler

Post by vistalize »

Hahaha I tried to install the water cooler and couldn't get it up and running. Motherboard and everything turned on but for some reason fans wouldn't start up. Disconnected everything and started back at square one. Will have to try to see if I can get it another day. Right now everything is running perfect so I'm not too worried about it, really was just looking for another project to fill time. I'll have to look into it more... Does water already come inside of the water cooler ??
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Typically, yes. When you buy a whole kit like that it's usually filled with mineral oil.

Each fan and the pump should each have it's own power cord. The power cord from the water pump should plug into the pump header on the mobo. At least one of the fans should plug into the cpu fan header on the mobo. The other fan will have to be plugged in somewhere else. The mobo may have an extra fan header somewhere, or you'll need a molex adapter or something to plug it directly into the power supply.

The cpu fan header and the pump header on the mobo should both be controlled by the motherboard drivers, which will change the speed of the two devices in correlation with a temperature sensor near the cpu. Plugging a fan directly into the power supply will not be controlled like that, it'll just run at full speed as long as the computer is powered up.
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Gotcha. Yeah it came with an adapter and a remote control that lets me change the led and such but for some reason the plugs for the fans they gave me were not fitting into the adaptor they would fall right off as soon as i laid the adaptor down. Everything turned on except the fans and the pump. I'm guessing somewhere in there I had something plugged wrong on the motherboard. It doesn't seem like too hard of a project at all.... just idk I guess I didn't something plugged in right. I'll have to try it again some other day.
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I was wondering how the RGB LEDs were gonna be powered and controlled. Was expecting them to take up USB headers or something. Remote control makes sense, that way they can just take power from the fans. Now, if you've got the RGB LED's working, but the fans aren't turning, my first guess would be a defective fan... The fact that it's the same for both fans AND the pump tells me you're not providing it enough power to turn the electric motors. LEDs take significantly less power than the moving parts, so they're working.

Can you take close up photos, showing where you've plugged them in? Maybe a video?
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Ok So I took it apart again and still didnt work. So I took it all apart again and re-put everything back together. Still couldn't get it to run. Well I found where I was fucking up.... So like I had said everything had turned on even the LED lights. But the power button wouldn't boot the computer up. Apparently there are 4 little connectors that go to the bottom and you have to line them up correctly or shit wont work. One says Power LED, Power etc. Its 2 tiny connectors that connect to one prong and 2 others that connect to 2 prongs. Anywho I think that where I was going wrong... I wasn't connecting those into the right spot therefore everytime I hit the power button it wasn't registering. Sound like a possibility that this was the problem?
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Screen shot here
Attachments
20190402_004354.jpg
EvilTree{OZ}
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Yeah, i'd you didn't have the power button connected to the right headers, you wouldn't be able to turn on your computer, and the fans shouldn't run if the computer is off...
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

Yeah thats definitely where I was fucking up.
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

I got it.
EvilTree{OZ}
vistalize

Post by vistalize »

W00t
Attachments
56585960_10218195365696515_8449758138042679296_n.jpg