*SPAWN* Devil here, Anything new,Shall we do some new bases?

perrinoia
Site Admin

Re: *SPAWN* Devil here, Anything new,Shall we do some new ba

Post by perrinoia »

Dude, all of that sounds complicated as fuck. Why can't the client side file kick message simple use function html open to download that server's client side stuff.

When you are unpacking the zip/rar file, or whatever, it will warn you if you are going to overwrite something, and you'll know to install a whole new copy of tribes to avoid overwriting conflicting filenames... Or even better, an auto installer that detects conflicts and installs a new copy.

The only problem with using htmlopen is Bob ruined it for us by sending everyone to meatspin.com, so most modern configs overwrite that function.

PS: I'm always down to travel and meet more tribes players (assuming I can afford it, and have enough time off work, which I currently can, and soon will).

I've already met one in Boston (Omega), one at some random truck stop restaurant in Pennsylvania (Pandora), and I've lost count of all the [df] members I've met in Sudbury.

I work seasonally, so I get a lot of free time in the winter.
Devil

Post by Devil »

KILROY wrote:WOW DDevil himself :twisted: Saw you hosting a couple of Non-dedicated servers for the past few days, where you trying out some new stuff or just trying to get your feet planted with getting used to the game again?
to my dismay we tribes players are nearly an extinct species it seems. If (tribes live or the like) could help breath some life into the community i think it'd be a welcome respit. i still think and tbh love how the game handles some things, its quick its fast, its nimble, its response to thoose of us that notice a 10ms lag in the game engine. it also has increddible mod support and a backend in the engine to handle heavy modding. (provided you don't go cray on it and freaky, or freaky bad stuff starts to happen) :tease: I would like some community input on things this time round. tbh though i don't really have enough of a understanding to roll it into mem.dll C isn't my thing. But rather if some one could set me up to have the mem.dll execute an exe or etc maybe that'd be easy enough for peeps. Also i haven't gotten as far to see if tribes live still works with listing all the servers inside the program on the new master servers. I belive it worked fine with the original ones years ago. but as its been forgotten who knows what moths and stuff might crop up if i were to reroll it :) XD

thoughts ?, just say F it and do it ftp style? files commited are marked readonly and any new ones have to have a new filename? etc? idk

Blarghagha
Devil

Post by Devil »

perrinoia wrote:Dude, all of that sounds complicated as fuck. Why can't the client side file kick message simple use function html open to download that server's client side stuff.

When you are unpacking the zip/rar file, or whatever, it will warn you if you are going to overwrite something, and you'll know to install a whole new copy of tribes to avoid overwriting conflicting filenames... Or even better, an auto installer that detects conflicts and installs a new copy.

The only problem with using htmlopen is Bob ruined it for us by sending everyone to meatspin.com, so most modern configs overwrite that function.

PS: I'm always down to travel and meet more tribes players (assuming I can afford it, and have enough time off work, which I currently can, and soon will).

I've already met one in Boston (Omega), one at some random truck stop restaurant in Pennsylvania (Pandora), and I've lost count of all the [df] members I've met in Sudbury.

I work seasonally, so I get a lot of free time in the winter.

hehehe, that actually is sorta tempting to have a meetup in person i was thinking an in game metup as the format would be easier, throw in some ventrillo or mumble or teamspeak and wallah! what we all came here for back then and even the bonus of comms.

The only tribes player i got to meet in person was *spawn* sniper (mind you i think there ended up being 2 of them) but albeit a semi aukward first meet in person, we had some fun playing tribes the day after :)
Devil

Post by Devil »

I suppose on the flip side as spawn is ahem "dead" i could dalso use a new affiliation or atleast some one in the tech know not to hand hold but gimme some info on this and that so i don't have to lookup every last detail and burnout and loose interest in a large scale update setup, updates, rollout, reroll, debug & new base building.
Groove

Post by Groove »

if you're looking to setup a server, talk to Crow about getting altimors aimlag fix plugin - its a subtle difference but it helps a lot imo
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Just post links on the 2 or 3 remaining Tribes websites and anyone whose not too lazy to click the link will download it.
Devil

Post by Devil »

Interesting point...
might work for a small circle atm but i was planning on being pretty dynamic and doing at least 5 bases. and seeing if i could rerelease the old ones that i barely even have, and haven't recovered yet. I'd also planned on fixing one of the bases that was done but isn't properly processed.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Challs2 and all of the combo halls? Pipecon?

I've always wanted to configure a maze from combo halls, and swap out structures on the fly, but the connections are buggy between the corridors, so, it hasn't been feasible.
Devil

Post by Devil »

interesting idea there. i had a few ideas in mind, a base shape pack of say square tunnels (if ya want to be very basic) perhaps with mushroomed edges so they can be made to mate to any existing base from raindance to broadside. } { sort of for a tunnel or ] [ but rounded

Also been doing backups of old drives still, but since theres physical drive damage to many of them theres tons of corrupt files lol.
who woulda thought i't take so long to backup ~1tb of old drives? I'm hoping to recover a few specific bases i'd made because i'm eager to toy with em some more. from what i remember there was also some 3rd party ones i'd found eg pillbox bases, and those actually inspired some of my own new bases. I think it mighta been Perr, or maybe sniper that ended up with copies of them but idk what ever happened. i was guna drop a pic of one of the bases that was recovered and see if anybody reconized it but i don't have the time atm to upload a pic to somewhere for it to last forever via permalink for years :)
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I ran tribes live for awhile, so if you ever uploaded it to live, I downloaded it.

I have lots of crap on my old disks, which are not corrupted, so lemme know what I'm looking for, and I'll dig through. Filename would be most helpful.