Fighter jet with lock-on missiles

LM|RCMP*

Fighter jet with lock-on missiles

Post by LM|RCMP* »

I don't know if this is even possible, but I think it would be cool if the missles from the fighter were heat-seeking, You would have to hold the crosshair on the target for at least 3 seconds to lock on the target. It would make it more interesting and realistic for when players are dogfighting. Again, I don't know if this is even possible, but I figure the Stinger missile and the tank rocketgun have the ability to lock on targets, so it might be possible to do that with the fighter jet missile
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
Erowid
Site Admin

Re: Fighter jet with lock-on missiles

Post by Erowid »

Oh great, impossible to hit jets with heat seeking missiles. What's next? spawn armor with mini gun, or how about an invisible armor or two?

Owner
Site Admin

Post by Owner »

i dig the idea. :clap:
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Ghost wrote:Interesting....
@perrin, can vehicles fire seekingmissile projectile types?
Yes. Definitely possible...

I tried it once. The seeking missiles went significantly slower than the fighter, so I kept running into them.

I found that strafing would reduce the chances of self inflicted injuries, while making it more difficult to lock onto targets.

Obviously a better solution would be to increase the speed of the missile or reduce the speed of the vehicle.
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

and like i said, if there was any way to script it, make it so you are required to hold the fire button for 2-3 seconds when locked on before the missile would launch. IRL you dont get lock tone as soon as its in the crosshairs, you have to have the target in the cross hairs for a short amount of time so the heat seeking sensor to be able to detect the signature. this part may be harder to script, but it would make it so players would have to be even more precise. If they aren't locked on, then it would fire straight like a standard missile
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

That could definitely be done...

The locking missile requires an onfire function anyway, so we can just copy/paste/edit the particle beam code...

Instead of incrementing every millisecond or whatever, we could only increment if the LOS target is still there...

We'll increment like 25% at a time, and when it reaches 100% fire... That way you have to successfully target the object 4 times before it automatically seeks them... However, if you release your trigger earlier, the missile fires without a target.

How does that sound?
LM|RCMP*

Post by LM|RCMP* »

perrinoia wrote:That could definitely be done...

The locking missile requires an onfire function anyway, so we can just copy/paste/edit the particle beam code...

Instead of incrementing every millisecond or whatever, we could only increment if the LOS target is still there...

We'll increment like 25% at a time, and when it reaches 100% fire... That way you have to successfully target the object 4 times before it automatically seeks them... However, if you release your trigger earlier, the missile fires without a target.

How does that sound?
well, i understand the copy/paste/edit portion, the release trigger fire without target part, but the rest is all gibberish to me. so.... sounds like its worth a shot lol. if you need a guinea pig to test it on, let me know on the LM forums, and we can do some testing sessions on whatever server :)
LM|| RCMP*
Head of Security
Owner
Site Admin

Post by Owner »

Or make a mod called "Annihilation Shootout" fighter jets only warfare CTF style. Shit why not lol.

Thanks!

Owner
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I've heard worse ideas.
The Boloblur

Post by The Boloblur »

I do like the idea of seeking missiles. However, there would have to be several nerfs in place for that, to prevent any spam and such. It should have at least a 5-10second cool down and it should run off the energy level to make sure that you can only fire 2 shots before the cool-down begins. That would regulate the usage and make it more of a skill to use them at just the right time.