Fixious

[tag]Anti-virus.

Post by Fixious »

Looking for a new one. Any suggestions?
DaJ4ck3L
Crow{OZ}

Re: [tag]Anti-virus.

Post by DaJ4ck3L »

not really antivirus, but ad block pro is pretty dope for keeping ads / spamware off your pc by blocking it all. it helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ad+bloc ... ro&spell=1

i use the firefox one. it good stuff. might change to chrome soon for something new tho.
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

malwarebytes
windows defender (lol)
cc cleaner to track programs

tried nod32 hate it
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

Best free anti-virus I've ever used is Avast!
Best paid anti-virus I've ever used was Bit Defender.

Avast! < Bit Defender, but you get more than what you pay for.

I haven't used Bit Defender in almost a decade, so it might not be as good, anymore.
I pretty much exclusively use Avast!, now.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Microsoft Security Essentials - Free
Spyware Blaster - Free
Windows Defender - Free
NTI Backup Now 5 - Free
GFI Lan Guard 2014 (Script Debugger) - Free
Debug Diagnostics Tool 1.2 - Free
CC Cleaner - Free

*** I used to use Malewarebytes, until they were hacked before the end of last year, and people were getting all kinds of problems. I deleted it immediately and never used it again.

EDIT: Forgot one McAfee Site Advisor - Free - What this does is let's you know if a site is safe or not. McAfee scans all these online sites and gives a red flag if not safe, green if safe, and a question mark if they don't know about it or haven't tested it yet. This will work with all of your browsers. It has them all built into it, so if you just use one, or all of them, you are covered :ttup:

EDIT 2: Just thought about the NTI Backup Now 5, any backup program you run will work fine. What I suggest is always, always, make a backup of your system. Suggest putting it on a backup harddrive, or RAM Stick. Do this at least once a month. What this will do, is if you do get anything on your computer, you can load this backup and it will delete it automatically and restore your system to where it was, that is only if you do this once per month. If you only do it one time, your system will restore to only that time you did the backup and you will loose a bunch of information. I set mine for auto backups. Just make sure your computer is on when these backups run. They will use up processor speed and memory to do these, and will affect anything you are watching, playing, or doing on your computer at that time, but it's worth IT! Will save your system and you a bunch of headaches later, believe me. I had an attack just the other day and restored mine with no issues.

EDIT 3: BTW....Microsoft Security Essentials is for people running Windows 7 and Vista only. Microsoft Windows Defender is for anyone running any version of Windows 8 and above.
Last edited by KILROY on Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:08 pm, edited 7 times in total.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I'd take Kilroy's tech advice over anyone else, here... Especially myself.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

perrinoia wrote:I'd take Kilroy's tech advice over anyone else, here... Especially myself.
Thanks, P, that means alot to me, especially since you don't know me that well :gfive:
AnniDv6

Post by AnniDv6 »

<!>KILROY wrote: *** I used to use Malewarebytes, until they were hacked before the end of last year, and people were getting all kinds of problems. I deleted it immediately and never used it again.
This was really bad actually. Around that time it marked a lot of critical windows .dll files as malware and then quarantined them and on restart there was no way to boot. System restore and images wouldn't work and I could get to the console, but there's no way to take files in quarantine out and it wouldn't allow windows to replace them from the disk. On their forums there were a ton of threads with people having the same problem, but they just denied everything and didn't really do anything in the way of helping. Reformat and backup.

The best anti-virus really is to always have a recent backup of everything.
KILROY

Post by KILROY »

Death666 wrote:The best anti-virus really is to always have a recent backup of everything.
Agreed, but make sure you do NOT back up your system on any installed harddrive or SSD drive. Make sure your back up is on something external that you have to plug into your computer to do the backup. That way your backup will not get corrupted also if on something installed within your computer. I put mine on an external RAM stick and that is all I have on the RAM stick.
perrinoia
Site Admin

Post by perrinoia »

I don't backup anything...

When shit gets too fucked up to fix, I reinstall Windows back to factory settings and start over from scratch.

I use my trusty Windows DVD, reformat the hard drive, reinstall windows, connect to the internet, and manually download/install everything I lost...

The whole process would definitely be faster with a backup, but I've had my backups corrupted so many times (because I forget to unplug them) that I just gave up on them.

Besides, virtually everything I create gets uploaded to the cloud anyway... I post all of my maps, I use google drive for all of my documents, etc... All of my drivers and games are available online (either freeware or via steam).